Black Friday: Not Here
You don’t need to mark your calendar for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. We’ve been hearing about those phenomena for weeks (if not years). The idea that Black Friday is spilling into Thanksgiving itself is just sad. But that is a topic for another day.
Instead, let’s mark our calendars for the National Day of Giving – Tuesday, December 3, 2013. The idea of Giving Tuesday is to counter Black Friday and Cyber Monday with a campaign that “celebrates and encourages charitable activities that support nonprofit organizations.”
Whether you participate in the National Day of Giving or are looking for a suitable nonprofit for your end-of-year giving, please consider donating to The Reading Tub.
We are a 100% volunteer public charity [501(c)(3)]. All donations go to our literacy mission: getting NEW books to at-risk readers. These are the families who have no reading material at home and Title I schools who need books for their school and classroom libraries.
Here is what oyour contribution can buy:
- $10 delivers 10 Middle Grade & Young Adult books (hardcover)
- $10 sends 15-25 Middle Grade & Young Adult books (paperback)
- $10 ships 15-25 picture books (board book, hardcover, paperback mix)
- $10 ships 25-40 easy readers / early chapter books (hardcover & paperback mix)
- $25 delivers 20-25 Middle Grade & Young Adult books (hardcover)
- $25 sends 25-50 Middle Grade & Young Adult books (paperback)
- $25 ships 30-45 picture books (board book, hardcover, paperback mix)
- $25 ships 40 to 60 easy readers / early chapter books (hardcover & paperback)
All of the books are brand new, sent to us by authors and publishers. At most, they are read one time but the majority aren’t opened even once!
You can make you donation today or any day, really. We would love if …
- you bookmarked this page so you can come back when you are ready or able.
- you could show your support for literacy by sharing this post on your social networks.
- you might encourage others to help at-risk readers by donating to The Reading TUb.
Whatever the upcoming holidays bring you – Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Black Friday, Cyber Monday and beyond – we hope that you will keep those in need in your heart as well.