Phew! The last post in our 12 Days Gift Ideas Guide. The end of this collection of nearly 20 lists with some of our volunteers’ all-time favorite book and book/gift combinations.
These past two weeks have been a labor of love, but like a certain jolly old elf, I am ready to settle down for a long winter’s nap. Before I go, I want to wish each of you a wonderful holiday – however, wherever, and whatever you’re celebrating.
I also wanted to let you know that those lists (collected neatly at the bottom of this post) are just an infinitely small sample of the ways to share your love of reading and help kids connect books with “real life.”
Let your passion be your guide. Wrapping your gift within a theme is a great place to start. From there, have fun. If it sounds like a great “go with,” then, well go with it! Having time to connect with kids and teens is your gift! So enjoy.
2019 GIFT IDEA GUIDE LIST OF LISTS
- Sharing laughter. [Picture Book, Novel]
- Ideas for Adventure Lovers [Board Book, Picture Book, Novel]
- Anthologies: Many Stories in One Book [Illustrated Chapter]
- Family Read Aloud: Chapter Books [Novel]
- Family Read Aloud: Picture Books [Picture Book]
- Wordless Books [Picture Book, Illustrated Chapter]
- Illustrated Stories for Foodies [Board Book, Picture Book, Illustrated Chapter, Novel]
- Audiobooks and Podcasts [Elementary, Middle Grade, Young Adult]
- “Personalized” Books: Character Names
- Illustrated Nonfiction [Picture Book, Illustrated Chapter, Graphic Novel, Novel]
- Biography + Memoir (more nonfiction) [Picture Book, Illustrated Chapter, Verse Novel]
- Activities with Household Items [Illustrated Chapter]
- Read-aloud Bedtime Stories [Picture Book, link to chapter books included]
- All about “Play” [performing arts, sports, pretend play]
- Pretend (and not-so-pretend) Play [Board Book, Picture Book]
- Fantasy and Magic [Illustrated Chapter, Novel]
Activity + Gift Ideas – Building on a Theme
- Tickets to an upcoming sporting event in a favorite or new sport
- Jersey or other fan paraphernalia for the sport/team
- Lesson(s) or sport-related summer camp
- Instruments (toy versions for toddlers/preschoolers)
- CD / audio in that genre
- DVD for a favorite musical
- instrument or voice lesson(s)
- Tickets to an upcoming event or concert
Art- or History- Themed Books
- “Tickets” (or plans) to visit a museum, historic site, etc.
- Take a class together at a local studio
- Arrange a back-stage tour at a museum, theater, library, etc.