Did you know that June 7th is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day? And that Wilmington, OH has a Banana Split Festival? [It’s where the banana split was born, in case you were wondering!]
So it seems only fitting that we go a little bananas for our first #NoSummerSlide post!
Idea: Fantasy Banana Splits!
- Draw your perfect banana split – sidewalk chalk, paint, paper; and/or
- Make a list (real or imagined) of all of the toppings for your banana split.
- Drawing – creativity, fine motor skills (coloring), communication, critical thinking (what do I want on my split?), conceptualization (how do I draw “x”?)
- List making – fine motor skills (writing), critical thinking, reading.
Idea: Real Banana Splits!
- Find 3 recipes for banana splits.
- Describe them to the family, who will vote on their favorite.
Bonus: Add pros/cons for each one.
- Plan a day to make them.
- Finding & making recipes – reading.
- Determining recipe suitability – critical thinking and analysis [e.g., figuring out if certain ingredients can/can’t be used in your family]
- List making (for ingredient shopping) – critical thinking, organization of ideas, analysis (determining quantities and measurement)
- Explaining recipes – communication, answering questions, advocacy.
- Shopping – organization skills, reading.
Got a picture of your Banana Split?
Post it online and tag us @TheReadingTub on Twitter and Instagram!